Berlin's wild, all-night clubs pumping to electro and techno; the towering tankards, Dirndl-clad waitresses and oompah bands of Bavaria's cavernous beer halls and chestnut-canopied gardens; the naughty nightlife of would-be drunken sailors in neon-lit Hamburg – Germany sure knows how to have a good time. Though quieter in rural parts, major towns and cities keep drinks and good vibes flowing at chic cocktail bars, rollicking pubs and skyline-gazing roof terraces.
Drinking & Nightlife
- Salon des Amateurs Slip away from the mainstream at this progressive Düsseldorf dance club.
- Harry Klein Electro party palace in central Munich.
- Zum Roten Ochsen Raise a glass as Mark Twain once did at Heidelberg’s most historical student pub.
- Engelsburg Student-focused cultural centre in Erfurt, with everything from parties to poetry readings.
- Altes Wettbüro Once a casino, now a Neustadt party place in Dresden.
- Molotow Legendary Hamburg Reeperbahn nightclub.
Pubs & Beer Gardens
- Chinesischer Turm Oompah bands fuel the fun at Munich's oldest beer garden.
- Brauhaus Ernst August Huge Hanover brewpub with a party vibe.
- Prater Garten Quaff a Pilsner beneath the chestnut trees at Berlin's oldest beer garden.
- Louisengarten House brews pair with meaty snacks at this boho-flavoured Dresden beer garden.
- Zum Uerige This Altbier brewpub in Düsseldorf froths over with good cheer.
- Zum Silbersack This rowdy, rough-round-the-edges pub is a Reeperbahn institution.
Cocktails & Clubs
- Berghain/Panorama Bar Minimal techno pumps out of this power plant turned legendary Berlin club.
- Odonien Tune into Cologne's subculture on dance floors throbbing to techno and house.
- Bukowski’s Mixology magic in industro-cool Hanover bar.
- Modernes Movie theatre turned happening dance club in Bremen.
- Moritzbastei Find the party at the cellars of the old city fortifications in Leipzig.
- Le Lion Go for a gin basil smash at this exclusive Hamburg den of serious cocktails.