- Das Dorf German specialties, cooked to perfection in St Georg.
- Deichgraf Local specialties in a gorgeous Hamburg street.
- Die Bank One of Hamburg's most prestigious restaurants.
- Alt Hamburger Aalspeicher Home cooking in a down-home setting.
- Altes Mädchen Part of Hamburg's new-wave dining scene.
- Fischbrötchenbude Brücke 10 Pickled herring in a roll in Hamburg – tick!
By Budget: €
- GaumenGanoven Fun-filled Altona eatery with delicious morsels to try.
- Mö-Grill Fantastic currywurst, pure and simple.
- Zum Spätzle Inviting little cafe serving specialties from central Germany.
- Café Gnosa St Georg classic cafe that's perfect for all-day breakfasts.
- Bear Claw Some of St Georg's best sandwiches and burgers with creative diversions.
- Otto's Burger Burgers and craft beers in St Georg – bliss!.
By Budget: €€
- Altes Mädchen All your culinary and drinking needs in one very cool space.
- Bullerei Perfectly prepared steaks and Italian dishes in a converted warehouse.
- Daniel Wischer Downtown purveyor of fine fish in the finest Hamburg tradition.
- Von Der Motte Fast slow food with creative sandwiches front and centre make this ideal for lunch.
- Ahoi by Steffen Henssler Sushi meets the curlywurst from one of Hamburg's best chefs.
By Budget: €€€
- Restaurant Kleinen Brunnenstrasse 1 Seasonal bistro cooking with an emphasis on slow food in Altona.
- Anna Sgroi Hamburg's best Italian cooking and well worth the detour to get here.
- Deichgraf Hamburg specialties on one of the city's prettiest old streets.
- Die Bank Seasonal menu is a fine architectural setting that draws Hamburg's power diners.
- Marblau Faultless Mediterranean dishes in a quite Neustadt street.
- Clouds Steak, French detours and fab views close to St Pauli.
- Das Dorf Try their labskaus (stew of potato, beef, herrings, beetroot and egg) with their home-made bread – two German passions in one.
- Laufauf No-frills restaurant with terrific, hearty labskaus.
- Deichgraf Upmarket restaurant with large and small labskaus offerings.
- Old Commercial Room Longstanding labskaus classic next to St Michaelis Kirche.
Other German Specialties
- Alt Hamburger Aalspeicher Old-style setting, with local smoked eel a highlight.
- Kartoffelkeller Indulge the German passion for potatoes on a lovely cobbled street.
- Mö-Grill Fast food Hamburg-style – currywurst that people queue for.
- Zum Spätzle Schwäbisch specialties in a gorgeous, intimate setting.
- Oberhafen Kantine Order a real hamburger from Hamburg down by the harbour.
- Hamburger Fischerstube Fish dishes, including pannfisch, just as locals like them.