• EU nationals need only their national identity card or passport to enter Germany. If you intend to stay for an extended period, you must register with the authorities (Bürgeramt, or Citizens' Office) within two weeks of arrival.
  • Citizens of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland and the US are among those who need only a valid passport (no visa) if entering as tourists for a stay of up to three months within a six-month period.
  • Passports must be valid for at least another four months beyond the planned departure date.

Customs Regulations

  • Goods brought in and out of countries within the EU incur no additional taxes provided duty has been paid somewhere within the EU and the goods are only for personal use.
  • Duty-free shopping is only available if you're leaving the EU.

Import Restrictions


Duty-Free (arriving from outside EU)

1L spirits or 2L fortified wine and 16L beer and 4L wine (17yr minimum age)

Tax & Duty Paid Within EU

10L spirits, 20L sherry or other fortified wine, 110L beer, 90L wine (with no more than 60L sparkling wine)


Duty-Free (arriving from outside EU)

200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars or 250g tobacco or a combination thereof (17yr minimum age)

Tax & Duty Paid Within EU

800 cigarettes or 400 cigarillos or 200 cigars or 1kg tobacco

other goods

Duty-Free (arriving from outside EU)

up to a value of €300 if arriving by land or €430 if arriving by sea or air (€175 for those under 15yr)

Tax & Duty Paid Within EU



Generally not required for tourist stays of up to 90 days (or at all for EU nationals); some nationalities need a Schengen visa.

Schengen Visa

  • Unless you're an EU national or from a nation without visa requirements, you need a Schengen Visa to enter Germany. Visa applications must be filed with the embassy or consulate of the Schengen country that is your primary destination. It is valid for stays of up to 90 days. Legal permanent residency in any Schengen country makes a visa unnecessary, regardless of your nationality.
  • For full details and current regulations, see www.auswaertiges-amt.de or check with a German consulate in your country.