- Chamäleon Varieté Historic variety theatre in the Hackesche Höfe presents mesmerising contemporary spins on acrobatics, dance, theatre, magic and music.
- Bar Jeder Vernunft An art nouveau mirrored tent provides a suitably glam backdrop for high-quality entertainment.
- Tipi am Kanzleramt There’s not a bad seat in the house at this festive dinner theatre in a tent on the edge of the Tiergarten park.
- Babylon Art-house cinema in protected 1920s Bauhaus building with restored theatre organ.
- Cinestar Original The best place to see English-language blockbusters in the original language.
- Arsenal Arty fare from around the world in the original language, often with English subtitles.
- Freiluftkino Friedrichshain Classics, indies, documentaries and blockbusters under the stars in the vast Volkspark Friedrichshain.
- Kino Central At the funky Haus Schwarzenberg, this small indie house plays new and classic art-house fare; also outdoors in summer.
- Freiluftkino Insel im Cassiopeia Indie movies next to a beer garden and bunker-turned-climbing wall on the RAW Gelände in Friedrichshain.
- Freiluftkino Friedrichshain Vast amphitheatre-style venue at Volkspark Friedrichshain with drink-and-snack kiosk.
- Freiluftkino Kreuzberg Presents movies in the original language in the courtyard of Kunstquartier Bethanien arts centre.
- Open-air Kino Central Tiny space tucked into the final courtyard of nonprofit arts centre Haus Schwarzenberg in the Scheuenviertel.
- Berliner Philharmonie The one and only. Enough said.
- Konzerthaus Berlin Schinkel-designed concert hall festooned with fine sculpture; a festive backdrop for fine symphonies.
- Sonntagskonzerte Intimate concerts amid charmingly faded 1920s grandeur.
- Berliner Dom Former court church host concerts, sometimes played on the famous Sauer organ.
- Pierre Boulez Saal Smallish venue designed by Frank Gehry hosts mostly chamber music concerts.
- Radialsystem V This experimental venue is home base of Sasha Waltz’ prestigious dance company.
- Hebbel am Ufer Often blurs the creatives lines between dance, theatre and performance art.
- Sophiensaele One of Berlin’s top venues for experimental and avant-garde dance.
- Dock 11 & Eden Dance studio in an old factory also puts on cutting-edge performances.
- Radialsystem V Gets bragging rights for its cutting-edge, genre-defying productions, especially in dance.
- Hebbel am Ufer Boundary-pushing and poly-genre productions that challenge preconceptions.
- Sophiensaele Presents collaborative mashups of dance, theatre, performance and music in the banqueting hall of a 1905 crafts workshop.
- Bearpit Karaoke A huge crowd turns out to sing and cheer on Sunday at the Mauerpark.
- Berliner Philharmonie Free Tuesday lunchtime concerts in the foyer of this famous concert hall.
- Hochschule für Musik Hanns Eisler The gifted students of this conservatory show off their talent.
- A-Trane Jazz Jam Mondays bring down the house in this well-established jazz club.
- Französischer Dom Organ Recitals Lovely lunch break in historic church at 12.30pm Tuesday to Friday.
- Teehaus im Englischen Garten Jazz to hip-hop concerts on summer Sundays at this charming Tiergarten beer garden.
Jazz & Blues
- Kunstfabrik Schlot This cellar club delights an appreciative audience with quality jazz, often for free.
- A-Trane Occasionally hosts jazz A-listers and has a rollicking Saturday night jam session.
- Yorckschlösschen Easy-going and long-running, this knick-knack-filled club draws a no-nonsense, all-comers crowd.
- b-Flat Intimate jazz joint mixing it up with Balkan beats and a through-the-roof jam session on Wednesday.
Live Music Venues
- Lido Great for catching tomorrow’s headliners of the rock-indie-electro-pop persuasions.
- Privatclub Small retro joint with an anything-goes booking policy.
- Astra Kulturhaus Clued-in bookers fill this rambling space with everything from big-name artists to electro swing parties.
- Waldbühne Berliner Philharmoniker to the Rolling Stones: they’ve all rocked this enchanting outdoor amphitheatre near the Olympic Stadium.
Rock & Punk
- English Theatre Berlin Innovative and often provocative productions by Berlin’s English-language theatre.
- Schaubühne Thought-provoking contemporary plays in repurposed 1920s Streamline Moderne cinema; with English surtitles.
- Gorki ‘Postmigrant’ theatre with multicultural cast picks up on works that address upheavals and transitions in society; with English surtitles.