- Restaurant Tim Raue Berlin’s top toque is famous for his mash-up of Asian and Western flavours.
- Einsunternull Gourmet food deconstructed to the essentials using regional ingredients.
- Restaurant Faubourg Elevated French cuisine, sensitively interpreted and served in an eye-candy setting.
- Katz Orange Cosy country-style farm-to-table lair in gorgeously recycled brewery.
- Restaurant am Steinplatz German classics reinterpreted for the 21st century amid 1920s glamour.
By Budget: €
- Street Food Thursday Global treats at a weekly street-food fair in a 19th-century market hall.
- Sironi Some of the best sourdough ciabatta you'll ever have.
- Hummus & Friends Hip Tel Aviv import makes kosher hummus and more next to the New Synagogue.
- W-Der Imbiss Perfect yin and yang of Italian-Indian cooking amid tiki decor.
- Burgermeister Succulent two-handful burgers and fries doused in homemade sauces in a former public latrine.
By Budget: €€
- BRLO Brwhouse Super-creative, flawless craft beer and food pairings in shipping containers with beer garden.
- Umami Sharp Indochine nosh for fans of the classics and the innovative amid sensuous lounge decor.
- Taverna Ousia Berlin's best Greek restaurant with traditional flair and sharing plates.
- Cafe Jacques Empty tables are as rare as hen’s teeth in this candelit cocoon with top Mediterranean food and wine.
- Mrs Robinson's Casual fine dining in a stylishly stripped down space.
By Budget: €€€
- Tulus Lotrek Michelin-standard restaurant serving intensely flavoured fare paired with feel-good flair.
- Schwein Elevated nose-to-tail cuisine with stunning wine and gin selection.
- Horvàth Groundbreaking ode to Austrian cooking has double Michelin pedigree.
- Katz Orange This stylish ‘cat’ fancies anything that’s regional, seasonal and creative amid chic country decor.
- Pauly Saal Time-honoured regional dishes reinterpreted in modern Michelin-decorated fashion.
By Cuisine: Asian
- Zenkichi Japanese morsels for the soul in a sophisticated izakaya with sake sommelier.
- India Club Easily the best Indian restaurant in town, in a chic spot at the Adlon.
- Chutnify South Indian street food so perky it may get you off your Prozac.
- Kin Dee Top Thai parlour for modern and localised spins on the classics.
- Good Friends Berlin’s best Chinese restaurant delivers a taste-bud tingling culinary journey.
By Cuisine: Italian
- Mine Restaurant 'Russian Jamie Oliver' jazzes up Berlin's upscale Italian dining scene.
- Osteria Centrale Serves a pan-Italian pastiche as comfortable as a hug from an old friend.
- Lavanderia Vecchia Palate-pleasing and waist-expanding 13-course indulgence in a converted industrial laundry.
- Muret La Barba Wine-shop-cum-restaurant where meals have all the flavours of Italy locked inside them.
- Standard – Serious Pizza Handmade Neapolitan-style pizza cooked in fiercely hot oven.
By Cuisine: Traditional German
- Augustiner am Gendarmenmarkt Go the whole hog at this famous Munich beer hall transplant.
- Henne No misty-eyed nostalgia, just the ultimate roast chicken, and that since 1907.
- Schwarzwaldstuben Oldies but goodies from Germany’s south amid delightfully irreverent decor.
- Oderquelle Consistent and inspired port of call for flawlessly executed favourites.
By Cuisine: Modern German
- Lokal True to its name, only top-notch local products are rendered into feisty flavour bombs.
- Restaurant am Steinplatz Diverse and sometimes surprising array of ingredients find their destination in superb creations.
- Orania Produce-conscious menu is a perfect foil for Berlin's worldly spirit.
- eins44 Neukölln fine-dining pioneer with clever but unfussy French-leaning food in a pimped-up old distillery.
- Weinbar Rutz Fabulous wine complements the soulful goodness of Michelin-chef-interpreted local fare.
- Zur Letzten Instanz Has done a roaring trade with local rib-stickers since 1621.
- Max und Moritz Industrial-weight platters and local brews in charmingly decorated centenarian pub.
- Kuchenladen One of the city's best cafes for a leisurely afternoon coffee-and-cake break.
- Konnopke's Imbiss Famous snack spot for Currywurst (slivered sausage in tomato sauce sprinkled with curry power).
- Anna Blume The three-tiered ‘Anna Blume Special’ at this floral charmer is the perfect greet-the-day choice.
- Tomasa Classics and homemade specialities served until a hangover-friendly 4pm in a rambling old villa with garden.
- Cabslam Weltrestaurant Bloodshot party eyes disappear quickly with huevos rancheros, eggs benedict and other California faves.
- Café am Neuen See Sleepyheads love the quiet Tiergarten park setting for leisurely alfresco breakfast served until 4pm.
- Geist im Glas Not only expats love the pancakes and Bloody Mary's served weekends only.
- Cafe Einstein Stammhaus Silent movie siren's villa provides a genteel backdrop for refined breakfast bonanzas.
- Türkischer Markt Bazaar-like canal-side market with bargain-priced produce and a bonanza of Mediterranean deli fare (olives, feta etc).
- Kollwitzplatzmarkt Posh player with velvety gorgonzola, juniper-berry smoked ham, homemade pesto and other exquisite morsels. The Thursday market is smaller and all organic. There's a kids’ playground nearby.
- Markt am Winterfeldtplatz Local institution with quality produce alongside artsy-crafty stuff and global snack stands.
- Markthalle Neun Local farmers offer their wares thrice weekly in this 19th-century market hall.
- Borchardt The extended dining room of a carousel of celebrities from film, fashion and politics.
- Grill Royal Scan the crowd for Clooney or Damon while tucking into aged steaks and oysters at this riverside hangout.
- Pauly Saal The fab and famous have adopted this Michelin haunt for off-the-radar noshing.
- Cecconi's A-listers staying at Soho House sometimes dine at this in-house Italian open to the public.
- Coda Dessert Bar Elegant haunt with sensuous dessert, strong cocktails and dimmed lights.
- Zenkichi Booths shielded by bamboo blinds for extra privacy to savour sublime Japanese feasts.
- Cafe Jacques Fine wine, candlelight and, above all, mouth-watering Mediterranean fare are the hallmarks of a romantic night out.
- Cookies Cream Michelin-starred herbivore haven where you’ll get kudos and kisses merely for finding the entrance.
- Café am Neuen See Tiergarten beer garden where you can take your sweetie on a spin on the adjoining lake.
- Damaskus Konditorei Bites from this baklava king guarantee a (so-worth-it) sugar rush.
- Fes Turkish Barbecue Grill your own meat and veg at this Turkish spin of Korean barbecue.
- Kanaan Feel-good Israeli-Palestinian joint with fabulous hummus and more.
- Defne Turkish delights beyond the doner kebab, on the terrace in summer.
- Habba Habba This hole-in-the-wall stuffs Middle Eastern wraps with unexpected meatless ingredients.
- Koshary Lux Snack place specialising in perky street food from Morocco to Yemen.
Vegan & Vegetarian
- Cookies Cream Clandestine meatfree Michelin kitchen tiptoes between hip and haute.
- Kanaan Israeli-Palestinian co-production serves divine hummus, shakshuka and sabich.
- Ataya Caffe Senegal meets Sardinia on the plate and in the decor at this adorable neighbourhood cafe.
- Vöner Delicous vegan doner since long before the animal-free trend went mainstream.
- Chay Long Stylishly simple eatery serving Buddhist monastery-style Vietnamese fare.
- Tulus Lotrek Feel-good fine dining with aroma-rich feasts and superb wines.
- Skykitchen 'Elevated' globalised German dishes on the 12th floor.
- Restaurant Tim Raue The outpost by Berlin's rebel-turned-top-toque ranks among the best 50 in the world.
- Restaurant Richard Arty decor combines with supreme classic French cooking in this relaxed gourmet lair.
- Horváth Kreuzberg restaurant dishes up creatively fine-tuned dishes inspired by Austrian cuisine.