Gabon in detail

Flights & getting there


Airports and Airlines

Libreville's Léon M'ba International Airport is currently the only international airport, but Port-Gentil will shortly come on board with a direct link to Paris with Air France. There is no national airline, but Air France, Royal Air Maroc, Lufthansa, Turkish Airlines and South African Airways regularly connect Libreville to Paris, Casablanca, Frankfurt, Istanbul and Johannesburg, respectively.

To neighbouring countries, there are regular flights to Abidjan (Côte d'Ivoire), Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Brazzaville (Congo), Cotonou (Benin), Dakar (Senegal), Douala (Cameroon), Kigali (Rwanda), Lagos (Nigeria), Lomé (Togo), Malabo (Equatorial Guinea), Pointe Noire (Congo) and São Tomé (São Tomé and Príncipe).

Departure Tax

There is no departure tax in Gabon.


Border Crossings

CameroonCross at the Ntem River between Bitam (Gabon) and Ambam (Cameroon). From the town of Ebolowa in Cameroon there's a regular bus service to Yaoundé and Douala. Visas can be purchased at the border.
Equatorial GuineaNot possible for foreigners.
Republic of CongoThere are crossings at Léconi (Gabon) and Oyo (Republic of Congo). There's no public transport along most of the route and few cargo trucks, so it can take several days and involve more than a few police checkpoints. There's another crossing at N'Dendé (Gabon) and Doussala (Republic of Congo), from where you head to Loubomo to connect with the Pointe-Noire–Brazzaville railway. In the Ivindo National Park, there is a crossing to the Republic of Congo north of Mékambo. Lastly, there's a crossing between Bakoumba (Gabon) and Mbinda (Republic of Congo). Visas must be arranged in advance, and confirmation of a hotel reservation is also required.


There is no international bus travel to/from Gabon.

Car & Motorcycle

You can cross borders (daytime only) in your own vehicle (not a rental vehicle) or on your own motorcycle as long as all your papers are in order. You will need your passport, visa, ownership papers for the vehicle, proof of insurance and an International Driving Permit.