When To Go
High Season (Jul & Aug)
- Hotels are full, often booked months in advance and at their priciest.
- It is hot: 35°C is fairly common at lunch time.
- Alpine resorts fill up with skiers and snowboarders during the December to March ski season.
Shoulder Season (Apr–Jun, Sep & Oct)
- The best time of year to travel, with good weather and no school-holiday crowds.
- Spring blooms and autumn colours.
- Prices drop in many areas compared to the peak months of July and August.
Low Season (Nov–Mar)
- Very quiet, especially in rural areas and coastal resorts, where many hotels close.
- Attractions open shorter hours.
- Prices are at their lowest: 20% to 30% off summer rates.