Working Holiday Visa

Citizens of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Russia (and a handful of others) aged between 18 and 30 (35 for Canadians) are eligible for a 12-month, multiple-entry Working Holiday Visa (Permis Vacances-Travail), allowing combined tourism and employment in France.

  • Apply to the embassy or consulate in your home country. Do this early as there are annual quotas.
  • You must be applying for a Working Holiday Visa for France for the first time.
  • You will need comprehensive travel insurance for the duration of your stay.
  • You must meet all health and character requirements.
  • You will need a return plane ticket and proof of sufficient funds (usually around €3800) to get you through the start of your stay.
  • Once you have arrived in France and have found a job, you must apply for an autorisation provisoire de travail (temporary work permit), which will only be valid for the duration of the employment offered. The permit can be renewed under the same conditions up to the limit of the authorised length of stay.
  • You can also study or do training programs but the visa cannot be extended, nor can it be turned into a student visa.
  • After one year you must go home.