When to Go
High Season (Jul & Aug)
- Queues at big sights and on the road, especially August.
- Christmas, New Year and Easter equally busy.
- Late December to March is high season in Alpine ski resorts.
- Book accommodation and tables in the best restaurants well in advance.
Shoulder (Apr–Jun & Sep)
- Accommodation rates drop in southern France and other hot spots.
- Spring brings warm weather, flowers and local produce.
- The vendange (grape harvest) is reason to visit in autumn.
Low Season (Oct–Mar)
- Prices up to 50% lower than high season.
- Sights, attractions and restaurants open fewer days and shorter hours.
- Hotels and restaurants in quieter rural regions (such as the Dordogne) are closed.