La Coupole

Brasserie in Montparnasse & Southern Paris

The reason for visiting this enormous, 450-seat brasserie, designed by the Solvet brothers and opened in 1927, is more history than gastronomy. Its famous mural-covered columns (painted by such artists as Brancusi and Chagall), dark wood panelling and soft lighting have hardly changed since the days of Sartre, Soutine, Man Ray, Josephine Baker and other regulars.

Advertisement