Discount cards yield fantastic benefits and easily pay for themselves. As well as the card fee, you'll often need a passport-sized photo and some form of ID with proof of age (eg passport or birth certificate).
People over 60 or 65 are entitled to discounts on things like public transport, museum admission fees and theatres.
Discount card options:
- Camping Card International (www.campingcardinternational.com; €10) Used as ID for checking into campsites; the annual card includes third-party liability insurance and covers up to 11 people in a party; it usually yields up to 20% discount. Available at automobile associations, camping federations and campgrounds.
- European Youth Card (www.euro26.org, http://kiosk.eyca.org; €14) Wide range of discounts for under 26 year olds. Available online.
- International Student Identity Card (www.isic.org; €15) Discounts on travel, shopping, attractions and entertainment for full-time students. Available at ISIC points listed online.
- International Teacher Identity Card (www.isic.org; €18) Travel, shopping, entertainment and sightseeing discounts for full-time teachers.
- International Youth Travel Card (www.isic.org; €13) Discounts on travel, tickets and so forth for under 26 year olds.