Dangers & Annoyances
France is generally a safe place, despite a rise in crime and terrorism in recent years.
- Never leave baggage unattended, especially at airports or train stations.
- At museums and monuments, bags are routinely checked on entry.
- Sporadic train strikes and striking taxi drivers can disrupt travel.
- France's hunting season is September to February: if you see signs reading 'chasseurs' or 'chasse gardée' tacked to trees, don't enter the area.
- In the Alps and Pyrenees, check the day's avalanche report and stick to groomed pistes. Summer thunderstorms can be sudden and violent.
- On the Atlantic Coast watch for powerful tides and undertows; only swim on beaches with lifeguards.