Provence & the Côte d'Azur in detail

Entry & Exit Formalities

Procedures for entering and leaving France are largely the same as for any other EU nation.

Customs Regulations

Goods imported and exported within the EU incur no additional taxes, provided duty has already been paid somewhere within the EU and the goods are for personal consumption. Duty-free shopping is only available if you are leaving the EU. For full details, see

Coming from non-EU countries, duty-free adult allowances are as follows:

  • 200 cigarettes
  • 50 cigars
  • 1L of spirits
  • 2L of wine
  • 50mL of perfume
  • 250mL of eau de toilette


Generally not required for stays of up to 90 days (or at all for EU nationals); some nationalities will require a Schengen visa.

For up-to-date information on visa requirements see

  • EU nationals and citizens of Iceland, Norway and Switzerland need only their passport or national identity card to enter France and work. However, nationals of the 12 countries that joined the EU in 2004 and 2007 are subject to residency and work limitations.
  • Citizens of Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, the USA and many Latin American countries do not need tourist visa for stays shorter than 90 days.
  • Others must apply for a Schengen visa, allowing unlimited travel throughout 26 European countries for a 90-day period. Apply at the consulate of the country that's your first port of entry or will be your principal destination. Among other particulars, you must provide proof of travel and repatriation insurance, and prove you have sufficient money to support yourself.
  • Tourist visas cannot be extended, except in emergencies (such as medical problems). Leave before your visa expires and reapply from outside France.