Picasso (1881–1973) discovered ceramics in the small potters village of Vallauris in 1947. Attracted by its artistic vibe, he settled in the village between 1948 and 1955, during which time he produced some 4000 ceramics. He also completed his last great political composition, the Chapelle La Guerre et La Paix (War and Peace Chapel), a collection of dramatic murals painted on plywood panels and tacked to the walls of a disused 12th-century chapel, now the Musée National Picasso 'La Guerre et la Paix'.
Picasso left Vallauris another gift: a dour bronze figure clutching a sheep, L’Homme au Mouton, now on place Paul Isnard (adjoining place de la Libération). But his biggest legacy was the revival of the ceramics industry in Vallauris, an activity that might have died out had it not been for the ‘Picasso effect’.