go to content go to search box go to global site navigation

Working and volunteering


Check first with the Finnish embassy or consulate in your home country to find out whether volunteering affects your visa status.

Go Abroad (www.goabroad.com) lists volunteering opportunities in Finland.


In most cases a residence permit is required to work in Finland, but there are exceptions, such as fruit- and berry-picking jobs of no more than 90 days. Comprehensive information is available at www.migri.fi. Contact the Finnish embassy or consulate in your home country well in advance of travelling.

Australian citizens aged between 18 and 30 and New Zealand citizens aged between 18 and 35 can apply for a 12-month working-holiday visa under a reciprocal agreement – contact the Finnish embassy in your home country.

Want to Live & Work in Finland Teaching English? Partner Content

If you’d like to spend more time in Finland than a vacation allows, experiencing what it’s like to live and make a difference to the local community, it’s all possible by Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) with i-to-i TEFL. No previous teaching experience or local language knowledge is necessary. Get your free i-to-i TEFL e-book now to find out more about TEFL, what TEFL jobs are available and how it can get you exploring the globe...

Get your free TEFL e-book and find out how to start a new life in Finland