When to Go
High Season (Jul)
- Attractions and lodgings are open.
- Hotels outside Helsinki are often substantially cheaper.
- Summer budget accommodation is open.
- Boat cruises running.
- Numerous festivals across country.
Shoulder (Jun & Aug)
- Long days with decent temperatures.
- Most attractions are open.
- Not as crowded as July.
- Fewer insects up north.
- Country shuts down over midsummer weekend.
Low Season (Sep–May)
- Outside cities, many attractions are closed.
- Hotels charge top rates, except on weekends.
- Aurora-spotting chances are highest in October, November and March.
- December to April is busy for winter sports.
- Short, cool or cold days.