Helsinki is a design epicentre, from fashion to furniture and homewares. Its hub is the Design District Helsinki (https://designdistrict.fi), spread out between chic Esplanadi to the east, retro-hipster Punavuori to the south and Kamppi to the west. Hundreds of shops, studios and galleries are mapped on its website; you can also pick up a map at the tourist office.
- Arabiakeskus Learn about Iittala glassware and Arabia ceramics at the museum at this superb design centre.
- Artek Helsinki's city-centre branch of this iconic Aalto-founded company sells unique pieces not found elsewhere.
- Lasikammari Rare vintage Finnish glassware.
- Stockmann Helsinki's largest department store occupies a landmark building.
- Tre City-centre design emporium with cutting-edge creations.
- Jukka Rintala Fashion, wallpapers and more from this renowned designer.
- Aarikka Finnish designs include exquisite jewellery.
- Awake Sustainable designs are showcased in this minimalist Design District space.
- Lokal Hybrid gallery/boutique with rotating displays.