Dangers & Annoyances
Finland is a safe country and travellers exercising common sense shouldn't experience any problems. The natural environment poses the main issues.
- Winter temperatures can be seriously low; it's vital to make sure you're well equipped with suitable clothing if you're heading outdoors.
- Parts of Finland are very remote; if you're hiking in the wilderness, have a map and compass (and know how to use them) and inform someone of your plans.
- After the snowmelt, rivers can be prone to flooding.
- Mosquitoes and other biting insects are especially fierce around July; strong repellent is essential.
- Watch out for reindeer on roads.