When to Go
High Season (Jun–Aug)
- Everybody comes to Europe and all of Europe hits the road.
- Hotel prices and temperatures are at their highest.
- Expect all the major attractions to be nightmarishly busy.
Shoulder (Apr–May & Sep–Oct)
- Crowds and prices drop, except in Italy, where it's still busy.
- Temperatures are comfortable but it can be hot in southern Europe.
- Overall these are the best months to travel in Europe.
Low Season (Nov–Mar)
- Outside ski resorts, hotels drop their prices or close down.
- The weather can be cold and days short, especially in northern Europe.
- Some places, such as resort towns, are like ghost towns.