Ethiopians are fairly relaxed when it comes to dress, but you should still dress reasonably well.
- While things can be extremely relaxed in Addis nightclubs, outside the capital, loose-fitting, light casual wear is recommended.
- Bring at least one set of warm clothes if you'll be spending any time at all at altitude (which includes much of the north) as nights can be chilly.
- At least one pair of sturdy hiking boots with good ankle support is also recommended, even just for reaching some of the rock-hewn churches of the north, as surfaces can be uneven.
- Shorts are rarely appropriate.
- Bring a good hat – sunburn can be a major issue, even at altitude – and a windproof, waterproof jacket.