Information from G Adventures
Rich with natural contrast, captivating human history and countless surprises, Ethiopia has long been an intersection between the civilizations of North Africa, the Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa. This 15-day adventure is perfect for the traveller looking to delve into the history and culture of this incredibly diverse land like few others do. In fact, we’ll help to take some of the infamous bumps out of African travel through a combination of flights and comfortable land transport. Prepare to have your preconceptions challenged.
- Your Journeys Highlight Moment: Ploughshare Women's Association Visit, Gondar Area Your Welcome Moment: Meet Your CEO and Group
- Arrival transfer
- Guided tour of the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela
- Guided tour of Debre Berhan Selassie Church, Fasiladas' Bath, and historic castles in Gondar
- Boat trip with guided monasteries tour on Lake Tana
- Excursion to Blue Nile Falls
- Simien Mountains trek with local guides
- Asheton Maryam Hike
- Mekele City tour
- Entrance fees and guided visits to Wukro and Abreha We Atsbeha churches
- Visit Yeha Temple, Axum Historical Site, Kuskuam Church and Palace
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Explore with a local expert guide
- Discover rock-hewn churches in lalibela and castles in gondar
- Admire the monasteries of lake tana
- Discover the simien mountains and historical axum
Day 1: Addis Ababa Arrive at any time. Arrival transfer included.
Day 2: Addis Ababa/Bahir Dar Fly to Bahir Dar. Opt to wander through the Bahir Dar market. Enjoy an excursion to the Blue Nile Falls.
Day 3: Bahir Dar/Gondar Area Take a boat trip on Lake Tana to enjoy stunning views and visit monasteries. Continue to Gondar for the evening.
Day 4: Gondar Area Visit Fasiladas' castles, bath, and gardens before going to the Debre Birhan Selassie Church.
Day 5: Gondar Area/Debark’ Travel to Debark, our base for visiting Simien Mountains National Park.
Day 6: Debark’ Spend the day in Simien Mountains National Park, enjoying guided hiking excursions around Sankaber campsite, the Jinbar waterfalls, and Chenek campsite. Return to Simien Lodge for the evening.
Day 7: Debark’/Gondar Area Travel back to Gondar with a stop at the Ploughshare Women Crafts Training Centre in a Falasha village. After, visit Kusquam, Queen Mentawab's historic residence just outside the City.
Day 8: Gondar Area/Lalībela An early morning start for our long drive to Lalibela arriving in the early evening.
Day 9: Lalībela Take a guided tour of Lalibela historical sites, including St George Church, Yemrehana Kristos, and other rock-hewn churches.
Day 10: Lalībela In the morning, enjoy a hike to Asheton Maryam. In the afternoon, we'll continue our included visit with the second group of churches.
Day 11: Lalībela/Mek’elē Enjoy the scenic views en route to Mekele.
Day 12: Mek’elē/Hawzēn Take a short tour of Mekele and Abraha Atsbera en route to Hawzien. Enjoy an optional afternoon walk to visit more churches.
Day 13: Hawzēn/Āksum Visit Maryam Korkor Church before continuing onto Axum. Stop at the ruins of Yeha en route.
Day 14: Āksum Enjoy guided tours of Axum's archaeological sites and Axum Tsion church.
Day 15: Āksum/Addis Ababa Morning flight to Addis Ababa. Tour ends upon arrival.