Simien Mountains National Park in detail
When to go and weather
- December to March is the driest time.
- In October, after the rains, the scenery is greenest.
- During the main rainy season, between June and September, mist often obscures the views and trails can be slippery. However, you’ll usually get several hours of clear, dry weather for walking since the rain tends to come in short, sharp downpours.
- Wildflowers come out in August and last until October, except the ivory-coloured Abyssinian rose, an Ethiopian endemic, which blooms March to May.
- Daytime temperatures are consistently between 11.5°C and 18°C, while 3°C is typical at night. Between December and April night-time temperatures often dip below freezing.