When to go and weather
High Season (Jan–Mar)
- Expect sunny skies and warm days.
- Good for wildlife watching and Ethiopia’s most colourful festivals, including Timkat and Leddet.
- Book accommodation through an agent at festival time.
Shoulder Season (Oct–Dec)
- The country is green, skies are sunny, trekking is great and there are fewer visitors.
- Wildflowers bloom in October and birds arrive en masse in November.
- December is excellent for the Danakil Depression.
Low Season (Apr–Sep)
- The rainy season in southern Ethiopia with scorching hot temperatures in the lowlands.
- Visibility is often poor with overcast conditions and seeing wildlife is a challenge.
- Elsewhere it's uncomfortable rather than impossible to get around