Ethiopia in detail

Entry & Exit Formalities

Entering Ethiopia by air is painless, including if you have to pick up your visa upon arrival at Bole International Airport.

Ethiopian border officials at land crossings are more strict. While official Ethiopian visa rules suggest that visas can be obtained on arrival, in practice, they're only available for those who arrive at Addis Ababa's Bole International Airport by air. What that means is that you must have a valid visa to enter overland as none are available at borders. Those entering with vehicles should have all the necessary paperwork and expect a lengthier process.

Customs Regulations

There’s no limit to the amount of currency that can be brought in, but no more than Birr100 can be exported and imported. You may import 2L of spirits and 200 cigarettes or 100 cigars duty-free.


Most visitors flying into Addis Ababa can either obtain an e-visa beforehand ( or acquire a one-month visa upon landing (US$50). If arriving by land, you must obtain a visa at an embassy in advance.

Coming From Kenya

At the time of writing the Ethiopian embassy in Nairobi was only issuing visas to Kenyan citizens or residents, a situation that has remained unchanged for a few years. Not a major problem if flying from Nairobi to Addis, where most people can get one on arrival, but a real pain for overland travellers. If coming overland, plan accordingly and get one elsewhere in Africa. Note also that Ethiopian visas are not available at the Moyale border crossing.

If travelling north to south across Africa then the good news is that visas were being issued without much fuss in Khartoum.

The above information is likely to change, so double check in advance. Lonely Planet’s Thorn Tree forum ( is good for up-to-date information.

Other Documents

In theory a yellow-fever vaccination certificate is mandatory, as is a vaccination against cholera if you’ve transited through a cholera-infected area within six days prior to your arrival in Ethiopia. These are rarely checked, but you probably wouldn’t want to risk it.

All important documents (passport data page and visa page, credit cards, travel insurance policy, air/bus/train tickets, driving licence etc) should be photocopied. Leave one copy with someone at home and keep another with you, separate from the originals.

Visas for Onward Travel


Bring US$125 (48-hour service) or US$150 (24-hour service), a hotel reservation, a plane or bus ticket out of the country, and one passport photo to the Djibouti Embassy early in the morning and you’ll usually have it by the next day. Visas can also be obtained on arrival at the airport in Djibouti.


The Kenyan Embassy charges US$50 for three-month tourist visas. Two passport photos are required. Applications are taken in the morning only, with visas ready the following afternoon. Visas are also easily obtained at the Moyale border and at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi.


The Somaliland Embassy produces one-/two-month tourist visas for US$40/60. It requires two passport photos and it’s issued while you wait.


Unless you’re using the services of a registered Sudanese tour company, then obtaining a tourist visa at the Sudanese Embassy is mission impossible.

Instead, apply for a transit visa, which is valid for one month from date of issue and allows up to two weeks in Sudan from the date of entry. Transit visas are relatively easy to obtain, but you will require: an onward visa for Egypt, two photos and, for most nationalities, US$100 cash. Americans, you get to pay US$200. It normally takes a day to issue.

South Sudan

South Sudan is not used to tourists, and, boy, can you tell that when you go to its embassy. No-one in the embassy seems too sure of what's required, so just in case bring along with you proof of sufficient funds, a letter stating the purpose of your visit, two photos and US$100. In addition you may be required to supply a letter from your home employer and they may ask you to attend an interview. Once you’ve done all that, one-month visas are issued in 72 hours.

More Information

Be aware that visa regulations can change. The Ethiopian embassy in your home country is the best source of up-to-date information.

  • Currently, all visitors except Kenyan and Djiboutian nationals need visas to visit Ethiopia.
  • Nationals of most Western countries (including the US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and most Western European countries) can obtain tourist visas on arrival at Bole International Airport. Aside from some (usually minor) queuing, the process upon arrival is painless and a tourist visa costs US$50. For those arriving into Bole, you also have the option of obtaining an e-visa prior to arrival via the government's website (
  • Normally immigration staff automatically grant a one-month visa, but if you request it, three months doesn’t seem to be an issue. Immigration officials in Addis Ababa told us that they don’t require onward air tickets, though some people have been asked for them.
  • Three- and six-month multiple entry visas are also possible. Note that visas are NOT available at any land border.
  • Ethiopian embassies abroad may (or equally may not; it varies from embassy to embassy) require some or all of the following to accompany visa applications: an onward air ticket (or airline itinerary), a visa for the next country you’re planning to visit, a yellow-fever vaccination certificate and proof of sufficient funds (officially a minimum of US$50 per day).
  • If your citizenship isn’t one that can acquire a visa at Bole and there’s no Ethiopian diplomatic representation in your country, you may be able to ask Ethiopian Airlines or a tour operator to order you a visa before your arrival; otherwise contact the Department of Immigration in Addis in advance. Visas in such circumstances cannot be obtained on arrival without prior arrangement at immigration.
  • Travellers of all nationalities can obtain transit visas on arrival or at the embassies abroad; these are valid for up to seven days. To obtain a transit visa, you will be required to show proof of onward travel or a visa for the next country you plan to visit.
  • The Department of Immigration is unlikely to grant visa extensions to those travelling on tourist visas – rather than arguing the case, it may be easier (if far more expensive!) to fly to Nairobi and then straight back again where you should be issued with another one-month tourist visa without fuss. Business travellers can get visa extensions but will need a letter from their employer.