Ethiopian Birr (ETB)
Budget: Less than US$50
- Basic double room with private facilities: US$15–25
- Getting around by tram and/or minibus: US$0.10–0.30
- Local-style meals: US$5
- Visiting museums: US$0.50
- Double room in a comfortable hotel: US$25–75
- Chartering a taxi for a couple of hours: US$10
- Dinner with alcohol at a midrange restaurant: US$10
- As much coffee as you can drink: US$0.50 per cup
Top-end: More than US$100
- Upmarket hotel room: from US$75
- Travel around town with rental car and driver: US$75
- Fine dining at an upmarket restaurant: US$15 and up
- Day tour of the city: US$60
Bargaining is expected in tourist markets and many souvenir shops. Although some such places do have fixed prices, it's always worth asking if a 'discount' is possible. The same applies to many midrange and even some top-end hotels, especially when things are quiet and discounted rates are sometimes offered.
You will have no trouble finding a bank in Addis to change cash, and most Dashen Bank branches have ATMs that accept foreign Visa and MasterCard (but not Plus or Cirrus).
United Bank At the Hilton Hotel.
Travellers cheques can be changed at bigger bank branches in Addis, but with some reluctance.