- Kuressaare Airport is at Roomassaare, 3km southeast of the town centre.
- Buses 2 and 12 connect it with the bus station at Kuressaare.
- Avies (www.avies.ee) flies to/from Tallinn twice-daily on weekdays and once on Sundays.
Additional to the Muhu ferry, SLK Ferries (www.tuulelaevad.ee) runs two boats a day between Sõru on Hiiumaa and Triigi on the north coast of Saaremaa (adult/child/car €2.60/1.30/7.40, 65 minutes); from mid-September to mid-May there are no sailings on Tuesdays, Thursdays or Saturdays. Tickets can be purchased at the harbour or prebooked online, but you'll need to be able to print out the ticket in advance.
Saaremaa is very popular with visiting yachties. The best marina facilities are at Kuressaare. Visit www.sadamaregister.ee for details of this and other harbours on Saaremaa.
Buses from the mainland take the Muhu ferry and continue to Saaremaa via the causeway, terminating in Kuressaare. The major routes:
- Tallinn (€15 to €17, four hours, 11 daily)
- Tartu (€18, 5½ hours, two daily)
- Viljandi (€18, five hours, two daily)
- Pärnu (€13, 3½ hours, four daily)
- Muhu Island (€5 to €5.60, one hour, 18 daily)