The little that remains of Narva’s war-pummelled Old Town is in the blocks north of the castle. Most impressive is the baroque Old Town Hall on Raekoja plats, built between 1668 and 1671. The striking building next to it is the Narva College of the University of Tartu. A large modern extension angles out and over the lower part of the building, which is a re-creation of the former baroque stock exchange building which once stood here.
As in Tallinn and Tartu, the Swedes surrounded the Old Town with a star-shaped set of bastions and most of the earthen ramparts are still visible. The Dark Park (Pimeaed) on the Victoria Bastion is a shady spot offering river views.