There are two Avies (www.avies.ee) flights a day between Kärdla Airport and Tallinn on weekdays and one on weekends. The airport is 5km east of the centre of Kärdla; buses are timed to meet all flights (€1).
- Most people arrive in Hiiumaa on the SLK Ferries (www.tuulelaevad.ee) service from Rohuküla to Heltermaa (adult/child/car/bike €3/1.50/8.80/3.70, 1½ hours, seven to nine daily).
- The busiest boats are those heading to Hiiumaa on a Friday and returning after 1pm on a Sunday afternoon. A 50% surcharge for vehicles applies during these periods.
- Up to 70% of each boat's capacity is presold online; the website has a real-time indicator showing what percentage has already been sold. The remaining 30% is kept for drive-up customers and offered on a first-in/first-on basis. You should consider prebooking at busy times, particularly around weekends in summer.
- Tickets purchased online must either be printed out or loaded as an electronic ticket on a smart phone.
- If you miss your pre-booked boat, your ticket will be valid for the regular queue on subsequent boats for up to 48 hours.
- Ferry services also operate between Hiiumaa and Saaremaa.
There are two daily buses between Kärdla and Tallinn (€13, 3¾ hours) and one between Käina and Tallinn (€12, two hours), all of which stop in Suuremõisa, Heltermaa, Rohuküla and Haapsalu.