- Verify that your visa paperwork is in order
- Stock up on cash to exchange (US dollars will get the best rates) – plastic is useless once you're on the ground
- Check whether any border areas have seen recent fighting
- Check with your health provider about recommended vaccinations
- Arrange for appropriate travel insurance
What to Take
- Plenty of hard foreign currency – you'll need enough to cover the entire cost of your trip
- Portable charger – the power supply isn't always reliable, even in the cities
- Necessary medications – you can't count on finding them here
What to Wear
Eritreans like to describe the country as a place where you can experience three seasons in three hours. Nights in Asmara can get downright cold and days on the coast are always scorching, so pack in layers.
Eritrean clothing is largely conservative, especially for women, so at a minimum keep those knees and shoulders covered unless you're on the beach in Massawa.