Southwest England in detail
When to go and weather
- Cliffs, hillsides and formal gardens burst into fragrance and blooms in April and May, when seasonal attractions also reopen and boat trips start.
- Music-festival fever takes hold in June at ultracool Glastonbury and the Isle of Wight.
- The peak holiday season and the best weather (in theory) is in July and August.
- The end of school summer holidays in September brings cheaper sleep spots, quieter beaches and warmer seas.
- Bigger waves draw surfers to Cornwall and north Devon in October; meanwhile Exmoor’s deer rut sees huge stags battle for supremacy, and the winter storm-watching season begins.