When to Go
High Season (Jun–Aug)
- Weather at its best. Accommodation rates high, particularly in August (school holidays).
- Roads busy, especially in seaside areas, national parks and popular cities, such as Oxford, Bath and York.
Shoulder (Easter–May, mid-Sep–Oct)
- Crowds reduce. Prices drop.
- Weather often good: March to May sun mixes with sudden rain; September and October can feature balmy 'Indian summers'.
Low Season (Dec–Feb)
- Wet and cold is the norm. Snow can fall, especially up north.
- Opening hours reduced October to Easter; some places shut for the winter. Big-city sights (especially London's) operate all year.