The Egyptian House looks like a bizarre cross between a Georgian town house and an Egyptian sarcophagus and was originally built for a wealthy mineralogist, John Lavin, as a geological museum.
Penzance's historic art gallery displays paintings by artists of the Newlyn School (including Stanhope Forbes and Lamorna Birch) and hosts regular exhibitions. The nearby Penlee Gardens are well worth a stroll.
On the edge of Newlyn, this historic gallery was founded in 1895 to display the work of the artists of the Newlyn School, but since 2007 the gallery's focus has been on contemporary art.
Housed in Penzance's former telecoms building, this gallery hosts regular exhibitions of contemporary art. It's the sister gallery to the Newlyn Art Gallery, a mile west along Penzance's prom.
Two miles north of Penzance near Madron is the walled garden of Trengwainton, which has a subtropical collection of ferns, shrubs, magnolias and rhododendrons.
This statue honours Penzance's most famous son, the chemist and inventor Humphry Davy, who invented the miners' safety lamp and discovered the elements potassium, sodium and calcium.
This inventive garden opened just outside Penzance in 2012. The landscaped gardens sit in a sheltered valley awash with artworks and installations: look out for a 'sky-view' chamber by James Turrell, a 'black mound'…
The cream of Penzance's heritage architecture can be seen along Chapel St, which is lined with a wealth of beautifully preserved Georgian buildings.
A historic pub on Chapel St, the first place in England to hear news of Admiral Lord Nelson's death after the Battle of Trafalgar.