Whatever your skills, it’s worth registering with a number of temporary employment agencies – there are plenty in the cities.

Low-paid seasonal work is available in the tourist industry, usually in restaurants and pubs.

At time of research, EU citizens didn’t need a work permit, but this may change as a result of Britain's referendum vote in June 2016 to leave the EU.

The Youth Mobility Scheme ( allows working visits for some foreign nationals.