London is a fairly safe city for its size, but exercise common sense.
- Terrorist attacks have afflicted London in recent years, but risks to individual visitors are remote. Report anything suspicious to the police by calling 999 (emergency) or 101 (non-emergency).
- Keep an eye on your handbag/wallet, especially in bars and nightclubs, and in crowded areas such as the Underground.
- Be discreet with your tablet/smartphone – snatching happens.
- If catching a cab after a night’s clubbing, get a black taxi or licensed minicab.
- Victims of rape and sexual abuse can contact Rape Crisis England & Wales (0808 802 9999, noon-2.30pm & 7-9.30pm; www.rapecrisis.org.uk); anyone in emotional distress can contact Samaritans (116 123 toll free, 24 hours; www.samaritans.org).