- Hoxton Hotel Unbeatable London rates, unbeatable London location.
- Artist Residence This Brighton beauty is more work of art than hotel.
- The Pig Rural elegance par excellence in the New Forest.
- Scarlet Sleep with an Atlantic view at this stunning hotel on Cornwall's north coast.
- Queensberry A suitably smart hotel for Britain's most beautiful city.
- Painswick Supremely chic retreat in the Cotswolds.
By Budget: £
- Hatters Once a milliner's factory, now one of Manchester's top hostels.
- Keswick YHA This riverside mill is ideally placed for Lakeland adventures.
- YHA Beverley Friary Not many hostels can boast a mention in The Canterbury Tales.
- Safestay York Grade I–listed digs in central York.
- Art Hostel Local Leeds artists have been given a free hand here.
- Clink78 Sleep in a courthouse where The Clash went on trial.
By Budget: ££
- citizenM This London mini-chain is setting the midrange standard.
- Grays Bath Beautiful B&B that matches Bath's elegance.
- No 27 Brighton Our pick of Brighton's bevy of B&Bs.
- Lister Barn Chic hiker-friendly rooms in the Yorkshire village of Malham.
- Grey Street Hotel Once a bank, now Newcastle's best-value hotel.
- 2 Blackburne Terrace Georgian elegance galore in Liverpool.
By Budget: £££
- Babington House Rural Somerset location: a royally indulgent hotel.
- Ritz London The original London luxury hotel.
- Gidleigh Park Fancy country hotel in the middle of Dartmoor.
- Burgh Island Art deco style on the Devon coast.
- Hazlitt's Four Georgian townhouses once owned by essayist William Hazlitt.
- Brimstone Hotel Serious luxury in the Lake District.
Castles & Fortresses
- Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel This castle-cum-mansion dates back almost to the Domesday Book.
- Augill Castle The quintessential castle: turrets, crenellations, vast rooms.
- Lumley Castle Sleep in a castle dating from the 14th century.
- Langley Castle Hotel Ghosts, suits of armour, creaking hallways: check, check, check.
- Bleak House Dickens rented this Napoleonic-era castle every summer for two decades.
Quintessentially English Inns
- Wasdale Head Inn A hillwalkers' haunt in the wild Wasdale valley.
- Dartmoor Inn Whitewashed and cosy: a Dartmoor diamond.
- Oxford Coach & Horses Oxford inn that's been given a boutique makeover.
- Wheatsheaf This Cotswolds inn is a perfect escape from the city.
- Gurnard’s Head Sleep out west on Cornwall's Penwith Peninsula.
- Rum Doodle Retro design features based on a classic travel novel.
- Belle Tout Lighthouse Always wanted to stay in a lighthouse? Now's your chance.
- Covenstead Gloriously Gothic B&B in the middle of Glastonbury.
- Hannah’s Once a dance hall, now a delightful B&B.
- La Rosa Kitsch decor and Lewis Carroll connections in seaside Whitby.