If you've always dreamed of staying in a bona fide British castle, this stately pile near Kirkby Stephen is definitely the place. All the trappings are here – crenellated turrets, stained-glass windows, cavernous rooms – and the design vibe inside is rather groovy, with a mix of antique furniture and contemporary furnishings. There's even a mini-cinema. It's 25 miles southeast of Penrith.
Information from Booking.com
Located just 30 minutes from Barnard Castle and Penrith, Augill Castle in Cumbria offers a selection of luxurious rooms, suites and family houses across fifteen acres. There is free WiFi, parking, and an on-site bar. Each room has private bathroom facilities with shower and bath, bathrobes and complementary toiletries. There is a flat-screen TV with DVD player, hairdryer and tea and coffee facilities. A full breakfast menu is served each morning. You can enjoy a drink in one of four public rooms – the drawing room, great hall, sitting room or conservatory before dinner in the restaurant or sample traditional English afternoon tea in country house surroundings. The restaurant, JustinWoods@AugillCastle is open from Tuesday to Saturday and offers an a la carte menu with either a two or three course meal. On Sunday and Monday there is a casual supper menu. The castle is around 6.4 km from Kirkby Stephen, Augill Castle is less than 20 minutes’ drive from the northern edge of the Yorkshire Dales, with Hawes just over 32.2 km away. The Lake District lies to the west, with Windermere and Keswick less than 1 hour’s drive.
Please note that most rooms have space for extra beds for children but these need to be requested and booked in advance. Please note that not all rooms are suitable for dogs. Please contact the property in advance if you want to bring your dog. The property charges GBP 20 per dog and includes a doggie care package. The two-course meal at JustinWoods@AugillCastle is GBP 27.50 per person and the three-course meal is GBP 35. The supper menu starts at GBP 12+.
- Physical distancing in dining areas
- Guest accommodation is disinfected between stays
- Internet services
- Shared lounge/tv area
- Breakfast in the room
- Use of cleaning chemicals that are effective against coronavirus
- On-site parking
- Contactless check-in/check-out
- Guests have the option to cancel any cleaning services for their accommodation during their stay
- First aid kit available
- Tennis court
- Hand sanitizer in guest accommodation and key areas
- All plates, cutlery, glasses and other tableware have been sanitized
- Daily housekeeping
- Shared stationery such as printed menus, magazines, pens, and paper removed
- Free parking
- Cashless payment available
- Physical distancing rules followed
- Food can be delivered to guest accommodation
Food and drink
- Free WiFi available
- Meeting/banquet facilities
- Business centre
- Luggage storage
- Room service
- Non-smoking rooms
- Non-smoking throughout
- Pets are allowed. Charges may apply.