Information from Viator
Leave Oxford city & the crowds behind on this small-group tour and enjoy a 2-3 hour bike ride with scenic views. Cycle past traditional narrow boats, ducks, swans, and of course Oxford's famous teams of rowers out on the Thames river. There are two routes available, both of which include an optional garden pub stop. Fun for all ages but a good family activity too. Public Tours start at either at 12.30 or at 14.30pm. We might offer 5pm start in high season. Learn about the rowing races and the historical importance of trade along the river, and the various writers, including Lewis Carroll, whose story-telling is the result of days messing about with boats on the river. Our marginally higher ticket price reflects the special quality of typically having smaller groups than our competitors. This tour averages 2-4 people per group, ensuring a more personalized experience.
Unlike other cycling tours, this experience is focused on letting you escape the city centre to head out of town along the river path to either Iffley village or Binsey village. You will begin by meeting your guide outside of the Oxford visitor info centre entrance at either 10.00am or at 14:30pm. In high season, we sometimes offer a 5pm start too. Alternatively, we recommend the combined cycle & walk tour option which only costs £10 extra but allows you to see inside colleges by joining our 12.30 walking tour of Oxford city & university, followed by 2.30 cycle tour on our scenic & leisurely route into the countryside. If you opt to book the combined cycle & walk tour, then we also will visit inside university colleges. The Iffley village route will take you past Christchurch and the boat houses and rowers to Iffley lock & village, with its medieval thatched roof cottages and its Norman chapel. Alternatively, the Binsey village route crosses through Jericho (a trendy neighbourhood featured in the first episode of the Inspector Morse TV show) and over the Port Meadow. The tour will return back to the original departure point, or nearby. Your guide will have a free map and directions available for wherever you need to go from there.
- Bike rental (our normal stock of bikes will fit anyone from 1.4 metres or taller)
- Local guide
- Helmets are only included if you ask at least 1 day in advance. Please note if you want S, M, L adult-size helmets
What's not included
- Children of height under 1.4m (4 foot 2) CANNOT join the 5pm start tour. The other start times are fine but any children under 1.4m, we require 24 hours notice to hire in smaller bikes.
- Food and drinks
- We do NOT visit inside colleges on any of the shorter cycle tours, so if you wish to see inside a college, please select the cycle and walk combined tour option. We also cannot guarantee entry into colleges, as it is subject to their being open eg graduation days is problematic.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- We do not stock tandem bikes but we can hire in one tandem bike trailer only, if you give us adequate advance notice. This is why we charge you a booking fee for infants to cover that cost. Alternatively, we have one infants child back seat suitable for infants weighing under 17 pounds weight.
- Any child or adult less than 1.5metres tall, you MUST advise us asap as we may need to hire in additional bikes especially!
- If you plan to bring children along, please provide ages and heights, at time of booking. Our stock of bikes includes two bikes only which will fit someone of height from 1.4m to 1.5 metres tall. We stock no bikes shorter than that, nor any bikes with tandem child seat on the back. Any such bike requests need to be made known to us, at least 24 hours in advance, as we need to hire in such bikes!
- Cycle the city streets to absorb the local atmosphere
- Flexibility to customize your itinerary to your own preferences
- Get inside tips from a local
- Small group ensures personal service