Information from G Adventures
From the outdoor playground of Baños to the bustling lanes of the Otavalo market, get an introduction to the culture, history, and spectacular scenery of Ecuador on this six-day adventure. Venture along the "Avenue of the Volcanoes," checking each off your list: active (Cotopaxi), green (Cuicocha), water-filled (Quilotoa) and extinct (Cayambe). Because we have years of experience in Quito and an established operational office, we’ll take care of the hassles – just focus on the highlights. And, with an expert CEO to lead the way and time for optional excursions, this adventure offers up a great combination of must-see highlights and free time to do your own thing.
- Your Discover Moment: Baños
- Overnight in an historic hacienda
- Otavalo handicraft market
- Visit Quitsato Sundial located at the equator line
- Visit a traditional leather town
- Visit Cotopaxi National Park
- Scenic drive along the "Avenue of the Volcanos
- " All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Be in awe of the majestic "avenue of the volcanoes"
- Learn about ecuador's eruptive geology
- Straddle both hemispheres on the equator line
- Learn about traditional handicrafts and folk art from local artisans
Day 1: Quito/Otavalo Depart early from Quito and travel north along the Pan-American Highway with a stop at Quitsato Sundial and set foot on both sides of the equator line. Opt to shop for handmade clothing and handicrafts at the Otavalo market, South America’s biggest. Overnight in a historic hacienda outside of town.
Day 2: Otavalo/Cotopaxi National Park Spend the morning driving along the Avenue of the Volcanoes searching out the peaks of Pichincha, Iliniza, and the gigantic Antisana. Venture into Cotopaxi National Park travelling around the base of the cone-shaped, snow-capped volcano, considered the highest active volcano in the world. Spend the evening near Ecuador's beautiful Cotopaxi Volcano.
Day 3: Cotopaxi National Park/Baños Continue along the 'Avenue of Volcanoes' to Baños, named for the numerous thermal springs that originate from the base of an active volcano. Flanked by snow-capped ridges, this is the perfect setting for outdoor pursuits including optional horseback riding, hot springs, hiking, and mountain biking.
Day 4: Baños Free day to enjoy Baños.
Day 5: Baños/Quito In the morning, enjoy free time in Baños to pursue some optional activities before transferring back to Quito for the evening.
Day 6: Quito Depart at any time.