US dollar ($)
Budget: Less than $40
- Dorm beds: $9–12
- Set lunches: $2.50–4
- Bus ticket: $0.25
- Pizza and beer: $10
- Double room in midrange hotel: $40–90
- Dinner for two in a good restaurant: $25–35
- Admission to museums: $1.50–3.50
- Taxi trip in the city: $3–7
Top end: More than $100
- Room in a top hotel: $120–300
- Theater tickets: $12–20
- Pre-dinner cocktail: $7–12
Bargaining at outdoor markets is standard practice; at shops where prices are marked, this is not the case, although you may be able to make a deal when buying multiple items. Prices for long-distance taxis and independently hired canoes are negotiable. In all cases, friendly and polite negotiation is key (but you knew that).
There are a few casas de cambio (currency-exchange bureaus) in the New Town, along Avenida Amazonas between Avenida Patria and Orellana, and there are dozens of banks throughout town.