Welcome to Dumont d'Urville Station
A long, curving boardwalk connects the landing jetty to the station. Dumont d’Urville was built in 1956 to replace Port Martín Station, 60km to the east, which burned down (without injuring anyone) in 1952, just two years after it opened.
Dumont d’Urville accommodates 35 winterovers, 100 summer personnel and a host of Adélies, which nest throughout the station, beneath and around the buildings. Emperor penguins from a nearby rookery were the subject of Luc Jacquet’s 2005 hit La marche de l’empereur (March of the Penguins). A two-person film crew lived at the station for a year.