- Greetings Greetings are an important formality in Djibouti and should not be overlooked, even for something as simple as exchanging money or asking directions. As such, learning some greetings in French or Arabic ('salaam aleikum') will smooth the way considerably.
- Clothing As in all Muslim countries, it's greatly appreciated if women dress conservatively.
- Djiboutian time Impatience will get you nowhere in Djibouti, where time flows with the tides.
- Photographing people Always respect the wishes of locals. Ask permission to photograph if a candid shot can't be made and don't insist or snap a picture anyway if permission is denied.
- Bargaining Haggling over the price of goods is ok in markets.