History

Ringkøbing was once a prominent North Sea port, until shifting sands caused the mouth of the fjord to slowly migrate south and threatened to cut off the town’s lifeline to the sea. In 1931 the town acquired a constant North Sea passage when a lock was built at Hvide Sande. Today the port is not a big player in exports, and the town is surrounded by industry, namely wind turbines.