Welcome to Danco Island
Danco Island, 1.5km long, has a wide, sloping cobblestone beach. It was charted by de Gerlache in 1897–99 and later named for the expedition’s geophysicist, Émile Danco, who died in the Antarctic. Base O, built by the British in 1955–56 and occupied as a surveying base until 1959, was demolished and removed in 2004 after four decades as a refuge hut. Six concrete foundation blocks, one with a plaque, remain. Gentoos nest right up to the summit of Danco’s 180m peak. Zodiac cruising in the ice-choked channels around the island can be spectacular.