Czech crown (Koruna česká; Kč)
Budget: less than €70
- Dorm bed: €12
- Self-catering and lunch specials: €12
- Admission to major tourist attractions: €10
- Double room: €100–140
- Three-course dinner in casual restaurant: €25
- Concert ticket: €10–30
Top End: more than €170
- Double room in luxury hotel: €230
- Seven-course tasting menu in top restaurant: €90
- Private guided tour of Prague with driver: €200
Bargaining is rare in all instances except perhaps at a junk or flea market. Normally you’re expected to pay the stated price.
ATMs are widely available. Credit and debit cards are accepted in most hotels and restaurants.
The Czech currency is the crown (Koruna česká; Kč). It is listed at banks and exchange windows as CZK.
For current exchange rates, see www.xe.com.
The Czech Republic is not a traditional tipping culture, though service workers in contact with foreign visitors will expect something.
- Hotels Bellmen at top-end hotels 20Kč to 50Kč per large bag; gratuity for cleaning staff at your discretion.
- Pubs Not expected, though round up to the nearest 10Kč if service is good.
- Restaurants For decent service 10%.
- Taxis Not expected, though round up to the nearest 10Kč for good service.