Panagia Angeloktisti

Church in Around Larnaka

Literally meaning ‘built by angels’, the church is home to the extraordinary 6th-century Mosaic of the Virgin Mary. The mosaic was discovered in 1952 amid the remains of the original 5th-century apse, which has been incorporated into the current building. Brilliantly preserved, the mosaic portrays Mary standing on a jewelled pedestal with baby Jesus in her arms, bordered by the archangels Gabriel and Michael. The church is a working place of worship, with regular services.

Advertisement