go to content go to search box go to global site navigation

Car & Motorcycle

Motorways connect Zagreb to Slavonia and Zagreb to Istria via Rijeka. Another major motorway heads from Zagreb to Dalmatia, with turn-offs for Zadar, Šibenik and Split; it continues in the direction of Dubrovnik, but falls short by 110km. Although the roads are in excellent condition, there are stretches where service stations and facilities are scarce.

The Hrvatski Autoklub offers help, advice and a nationwide roadside-assistance number.

Car Hire

Car hire is available in all major towns, airports and tourist locations. Independent local companies are often much cheaper than the international chains, but the big companies offer one-way rentals. Sometimes you can get a lower rate by booking the car from abroad, or by booking a fly-drive package.

In order to rent a car you must be 18, have a valid driving licence and have a major credit card to cover the insurance excess.

Car Insurance

Third-party public-liability insurance is included by law with car rentals. If it's not covered by your travel-insurance policy, make sure your quoted price includes full collision insurance, known as a collision damage waiver (CDW).

Driving Licences

Any valid driving licence (no matter what its language) is sufficient to drive legally and rent a car; an international driving licence is not necessary.

On the Road

  • Petrol stations are generally open from 7am to 7pm (often until 10pm in summer) and dispense Eurosuper 95 and 98 petrol and diesel.
  • You have to pay tolls on all motorways, to use the Učka tunnel between Rijeka and Istria, to use the bridge to Krk Island, and on the road from Rijeka to Delnice. The first set of booths you come across when you enter a motorway dispenses tickets; you need to present this at the booths when you leave the motorway, where it's used to calculate the applicable toll.

Road Rules

  • In Croatia you drive on the right, and the use of seatbelts is mandatory.
  • Unless otherwise posted, the speed limits for cars and motorcycles are as follows: 50km/h in built-up areas; 90 km/h on other roads; 110km/h on main highways; 130km/h on motorways.
  • It’s illegal to drive with a blood-alcohol content higher than 0.05%.
  • From October to March you are required to drive with your headlights on, even during the day.
  • All foreign cars must have their nationality sticker on the back, even if their EU licence plate states it.