History

The banks of the Río Savegre were long protected by the steep flanks of the Talamanca mountains, prohibiting settlement in this area. It wasn't until 1952 that Efraín Chacón and his brothers – driven by drought – came south from Copey de Dota and established a farm on the western slopes of Cerro de la Muerte.

In the early days, they planted typical subsistence crops but soon brought in dairy cattle, stocked the streams with trout and planted orchards. Trout attracted anglers from San José, while the abundant wild avocado trees attracted the quetzals.