Dangers & Annoyances
Practical Tip: Battling the Blood Suckers
Whether you call them skeeters, mozzies or midges, everyone can agree that fending off mosquitoes is one of the most annoying parts of traveling in the tropics. Although the scientific evidence surrounding effective mosquito-bite prevention is circumstantial at best, the following is a list of road-tested combat strategies for battling the blood-suckers.
- Wear socks, long trousers and a long-sleeved shirt, especially at dusk, when mosquitoes feed.
- Eat lots of garlic (not recommended if you’re traveling with your significant other).
- Fill your room with the smoke of the ever-present burnable Costa Rican mosquito coils.
- Invest in a good-quality mosquito net, preferably one that has been chemically treated.
- Never underestimate the power of spraying yourself with DEET.