Information from G Adventures
To truly understand China, you’ve got to get out and meet it on its own terms, which is exactly what this 12-day trip through the country’s northern reaches delivers. Up here, you’ll get to the big stuff (the Great Wall, Xi’an’s Terracotta Army, Beijing) and lesser-known treasures that only the hardiest of travellers ever get to see: village life in Inner Mongolia, the amazing Yungang Buddha Caves, and the nearly 3,000-year-old city of Pingyao, to name just a few.
- Your Welcome Moment: Meet Your CEO and Group Your Local Living Moment: Ger Homestay, Darhan Muminggan Lianheqi Your Hands-On Moment: Chinese Painting Lesson, Pingyao
- Great Wall excursion and entrance
- Inner Mongolia city tour
- Traditional Mongolian ger stay
- Yungang Grottoes visit (Datong)
- Hanging Monastery visit
- Local family visit with Chinese painting lesson (Pingyao)
- Terracotta Warriors excursion including local lunch with a farmer's family (Xi'an)
- Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City tour (Beijing)
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Envision ancient times at the great wall of china
- Live like a local in an inner mongolian ger
- Marvel at the hanging monastery of datong
- Stare down the terracotta warriors
- Learn traditional chinese painting in pingyao
Day 1: Beijing Arrive at any time.
Day 2: Beijing/Baotou Visit the Great Wall of China and return to Beijing in time for an overnight train to Inner Mongolia.
Day 3: Baotou/Inner Mongolia Arrive in Baotou and continue into the grasslands of Inner Mongolia. Spend the night in a traditional ger (yurt) and enjoy an included dinner at the homestay.
Day 4: Inner Mongolia/Datong Travel back through the grasslands to the capital of Inner Mongolia, Hohhot. Here, hop a train to Datong.
Day 5: Datong Set eyes on the gorgeous Hanging Monastery and visit the Yungang Grottoes to see the thousands of Buddha statues.
Day 6: Datong/Pingyao Travel by train and arrive at Pingyao in the evening. Enjoy some down time staring at the beautiful scenery, playing cards, or chatting with your fellow passengers.
Day 7: Pingyao Explore this traditional town and enjoy an included visit to a local family home and a traditional Chinese painting lesson.
Day 8: Pingyao/Xi'an Take a fast train to Xi'an and spend some time exploring the city.
Day 9: Xi'an Visit the Terracotta Warriors and enjoy an included lunch at a local farmer's house.
Day 10: Xi'an/Beijing Enjoy a free day in Xi'an. Opt to visit the Muslim Quarter, ride a bike around the city walls, check out the Big Goose Pagoda, or do some shopping. Take an overnight train to Beijing.
Day 11: Beijing Arrive in Beijing in the early morning. Enjoy a guided tour of Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. In the evening, choose to take in a Chinese acrobats show, a Kung Fu show, or the Chinese Opera.
Day 12: Beijing Depart at any time.