- Imported English-language newspapers can be bought from five-star-hotel bookshops and some read online. The Shànghǎi-published English-language newspaper the Shanghai Daily (www.shanghaidaily.com) is a better read than the insipid national China Daily (www.chinadaily.com.cn), but is nevertheless censored.
Stacked up in bars, restaurants and cafes, free expat entertainment and listings magazines cover all bases:
- City Weekend (www.cityweekend.com.cn/shanghai) Glossy bimonthly.
- That’s Shanghai (http://online.thatsmags.com/city/shanghai) Info-packed monthly.
Websites can be jammed but it's possible to listen to the following:
- BBC World Service (www.bbc.co.uk/worldserviceradio/on-air)
- Voice of America (www.voa.gov)
- Your hotel may have ESPN, Star Sports, CNN or BBC News 24. You can also tune into the (censored) English-language channel CCTV9 (Chinese Central TV).